Saturday, January 09, 2010

ALASKA

I'm here!!


I did it. I moved 5,000 miles NORTh to Fairbanks to finish out the year at tanana middle school.

Before I left, Jacqui said, “you wanna have a get-together before you go?” I said, “Sure,” thinking a few people would show up. The house was PACKED!! I can’t believe so many people came out to say a temporary good-bye to me!


Plus, they gave me the best present: knowing that my camera had gone a.w.o.l. when my former klepto…ahem… roommate was around, and knowing that said camera was important to me because it was a gift from students, they got together & bought me a new camera!!


It’s awesome! I’m so excited to be digital again.

Here’s my first ever picture taken with my new camera:



OK, I’ve taken better. Like these of some of my gorgeous friends:




Still working on the settings... I've never been great at indoor shots.

So, on Tuesday, January 5th, I hopped on a plane in Houston and landed a mere 10 hours later in a much colder Fairbanks, AK (temp: 4°F).

I only took one picture on the way by way of explanation of why I only took one picture on the way:


Those are just my carry-ons (I’ve never been accused of traveling light…especially when moving). Too many handfuls to be breaking out my camera just to take a pic of Ivar’s (YUM)



My very good friend Kelley picked me up at the airport at midnight & I stayed at her place for a couple of days since I don’’t have a car yet.

Here’s what I saw out my window when I woke up at 7:30 the next morning:



If you look carefully, you can see… never mind... it’s dark.


Things were looking much better at 10:00:




Speaking of Kelley, here’re some pics of her adorable kids at dinner last night:


Kweku


Conrad


Adom


I started work on Thursday & it’s going great so far. More to come later.


Two last pictures for now, I just took these out the window of my new place at about 9:20 am.


The back yard:




The front:



Why no pictures from outside, you ask?

(Cuz It’s -17°)


3 comments:

Dayna said...

Glad everything is going well so far. We love you and miss you!

Unknown said...

That fist picture is MY shoe and that last friend picture has ME in it, so that makes me AWESOME.

Or something like that.

Love you! Miss you!
Taking a picture of the baby in her cute dress ASAP

Rachel said...

Yeah for Alaska. It looks beautiful with all the snow on the trees. So pure and white! Sorry it has to be so cold too!!!

I'm glad you made it safely! Keep us posted!