Wednesday, November 06, 2013

I See This...

I see this: 

**edit** unfortunately, the picture has been removed and I can't find it. Imagine a sign that says something about missing "the old America..."**

 

And I say this: 

Which "Old America"? The one where we fought two wars based on lies, killing thousands of American soldiers and tens of thousands of our "enemies" (often women and children); where we passed education legislation that has set us back decades; where we did away with a balanced budget and a surplus in favor of a huge deficit (the kind that happens when you start wars and cut taxes at the same time)? 

Or shall we go back to the one where people of African descent were barred de juro or de facto from anything but menial labor and from neighborhoods, restaurants, schools, and so on that their white neighbors enjoyed? 

Or shall we go even further to the time when women were limited to jobs as secretaries or receptionists? 

Or to when women couldn't even vote? 

Or to when there were no labor laws so children worked 12-hour shifts, 7 days a week so that their families could pay for overpriced food in company stores that effectively kept them in a state of de facto servitude to wealthy fatcats? 

Shall we go back to when only white, landowning men could vote and black men, women and children were bought, sold, beaten, and bred like animals?

When is this supposed golden age of America that everyone seems to want to go back to?

No comments: