Wednesday, February 29, 2012

February 29, 2012

  • 6:45 am... arrive at school to finish inputting grades before SAT club. Find my door locked. I don't have a key. I've never had a key. The door is not supposed to be locked. Apparently, in my haste to leave yesterday, I neglected to check to see if, during the course of a day of being opened and slammed against the wall, the lock had been engaged, as it sometimes is. Good news: the back door to the balcony is unlocked. Bad news:, there’s no way to access said balcony except through the upstairs classrooms, all of which are locked (the other teachers have keys).
  • 7:00 am… principal arrives. I explain my plight. He breaks out some pretty spiffy ninja skills and goes up on the roof, drops down to the balcony (7 foot-or-so drop), and enters through the back door.
  • 7:15 am… SAT kiddos arrive. They are barely conscious…more so (or is it less so?) than usual.
  • 8:00 am… everyone else arrives. The day commences. The kids are weird all day. Just off…
  • 2:30 pm… Ajumma comes in to clean my room, much earlier than normal. Instead of sweeping and stuff, she takes out some cleaner and is wiping down desks. It occurs to me that something is odd, but I’m too busy typing up Huck Finn questions for English III (NOT looking at Pinterest) to think much about it.
  • 3:00 pm… I’m busy working through my prep period (NOT checking Facebook…). Cheering erupts next door. Principal comes in: “They’re cheering because school is cancelled tomorrow and Friday”… huh? whaffor? …It seems four teachers are out with the flu (several kids have had pretty nasty cases in the last couple of weeks). We only have 17 teachers… and no subs.

…. Happy Leap Day…

No comments: